Friday, February 13, 2009

Birthday Fun




I had an absolutely wonderful birthday yesterday. The day started off with gifts of jewelry and chocolates from my host family. I then received cards from all of the kids (over 70), many more hugs and kisses, and as per Peruvian tradition, had a cake shoved in my face (and up my nose) by the other volunteers after school. I like this series of photos as I gradually disappear into the mass of children.

I was dragging a bit this week after getting violently ill over the weekend, and am looking forward to some rest tonight, although I have a busy weekend of random logistical things for GVI ahead of me. I moved back in with my host family, who had been away at the beach, and it feels great to be back with them. They were all very concerned about me getting sick, and the other afternoon Geraldine (age 7) came into my room just to make sure that I had heard the thunder outside (even though it was deafening and there is no way that I wouldn't have heard it).

Right now the Peruvians are preparing for Carnaval, which I think is on the 25th, and the traditions are awful! They involve chucking water balloons and paint at random people, and trying to get the kids to behave when they are in constant battle is a bit of a nightmare. Next week we are going to have a massive water balloon and paint fight, volunteers versus kids. Should be crazy...

Next week is our last full week of summer school, followed by a week of birthday celebrations and a fashion show with the kids who will be sporting the t-shirts that they are currently painting in class (I keep suggesting that we use the song "I'm too sexy for my shirt" since it has all those lyrics about the catwalk, and I think it would be appropriate as long as the kids don't catch on to the sexy part).

My brain is too fried to write any more, but I hope to regain my energy over the weekend before heading into another crazy week. Thanks for reading!

No comments: