It was another crazy week in Peru. At Maldonado, one of the classrooms is still being repainted and re-tiled, so grades 1 and 2 continue to have class in the tiny new kitchen that has no windows and a tin roof, so is really more of an oven. Dom Williams, who founded this project and other similar ones throughout Latin America, was here visiting this week with some other people from the GVI head office, and it was fun to meet the man who made this all possible. He took me out to dinner and tried to convince to me to stay on longer as an intern, but I explained that I'm broke and need to be around for my new baby niece.
My big accomplishment of the week was moving Abraham up from second to third grade. He was in second grade last year and didn't do well on his end of the year exams (which are poorly written and too hard for some of my sixth graders). I've been insisting from the beginning of the year that he needs to be moved up and will get much more out of third grade, but the teachers weren't concerned enough to do anything about it. This week I hand-wrote another copy of the exam for him, proctored it, graded it, and then insisted once again that he be moved up. Finally the teachers agreed. He received many cheers from the class of 3 and 4 when we announced that he would be joining them this year, and he was clearly excited to be back with his classmates.
Just two more weeks of madness here. I'm just trying to enjoy all the time I have left with the kids at school, the vols, my host family, and my crazy Spanish teacher. I'm definitely feeling more ready this time to head back to the States, but I dread having to do another round of goodbyes.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Really bad again and had to read two months worth of posts in a day. I think blog posts should have a button for "bad readers" that will reverse the order for us so we don't have to keep scrolling up to read the post before and become car-sick!
Anyway, glad things are going "well". Unfortunately, your crazy week sounds just like the day in the life of a principal.
The children are darling. I especially love that in the top photograph of the previous (or next in my backwards reading) I'm pretty sure the girl has her sweater on backwards. Just like my house!
Enjoy your final weeks. One of those "job things" will find you soon.
Hey Mari,
It's been good/nostalgic to read your updates, thanks! Great job, by the way...
Post a Comment